Monday 20 April 2009

Just a tart...

Just browsing through any fishing catalogue will tell you that the options for carrying your gear are numerous. Many of the vests and pack systems are designed to catch the angler rather than help him. I have been victim to this over the years, spending large sums of money on vests and packs that have actually proved to be a hindrance rather than a help.

The conclusion from this is there is no one system for this country if you are an river angler that fishes all year...well that’s my conclusion anyway; maybe I am just a tackle tart looking for excuses!

In the winter you need a larger carry load for your back to cover the extra clothes as well as the standard flask and food, or in my case Kelly Kettle or Coleman’s stove. I always carry an entomology book plus a few bits like mug, lighter, hand-wash and mozi-cream. I carry fewer fly boxes during the Grayling season and that means the space requirement is reduced. A chest pack works OK for this time of year.

Once spring arrives and the number of fly boxes increases then a vest type configuration works best for me; to stick with a chest pack configuration means having something so large in front of me that it gets in the way. I carry less clothing and catering which means a smaller pack is required.

Again this is all about personal choices but I now have two systems...well three actually but that’s a whole seperate discussion about short sessions over longer ones...I guess the real conclusion is I am a tackle tart. Hey-ho!

The conditions were much more spring like and we arrived on the brook at around mid-day, we found the fish starting to rise to Grannom which were out in considerable numbers. I fished an Elk Hair Caddis which has a peacock herl body and a lime green butt; it fished well....really well!

By about 3pm the rise was coming to an end and it was time to light up the KK for the second brew of the day. There were a good number of fish accounted for and some nice ones too. Here RT works some typical Sutton Brook holding areas.

We fished on until 7pm, when it was time for a beer. We had covered the whole river today, about 3.5 miles of fishing and caught a lot of nice fish. The prospects look good this year. After three sessions there are already 22 fish in the log book!!




No comments:

Post a Comment