Saturday 11 April 2009

Diaries are brilliant!!!
What's a blog, just a diary really, so here goes.....

It’s the start of a new fishing year, well I regard the end of the coarse season as the start of the Trout season but that's all kinda blurred now with waters open all year in both disciplines.

You've got to have some way of managing your sports so I stick to the old seasons - shooting is a lot simpler of course.

The first outing this year was a few days ago.


The syndicate on Sutton Brook stocks fish early season so I like to get out before this happens...like on the 1st April - to get a feel for what kind of overwinter stock there is....of course!!!

Like last year there are still plenty of fish to go at and even though it was not the warmest of days there were fish rising to Large Dark Olives (LDO's) that trickled off throughout the afternoon. A home tied, clipped Adams did the business for me.


If I had a 'go-to' fly it would be the Adams, Klinkhamer's are good but the Adams just beats it. Obviously it's not the perfect fly, there is no such thing but unless I am standing in the car park with a hatch of something or other buzzing around my head as I thread the leader through the rings of the rod, the Adams is usually the fly I will tie on to walk to the river. It might not be the first fly I cast on the water but often it is....

I have fads with other patterns, affairs if you like. Last year I fished the Elk Hair Emerger and Caddis patterns in various colours quite a bit, the year before it was a Black Para-dun, before that an Olive F-Fly, but they are like one night stands, they are flings, affairs but just not marriage - who's your long term lover?... still the Adams has been the pattern that fills a good number of compartments in my hackled patterns fly-box....

...Fly box organisation, what's that all about eh?

I must have changed the system a dozen times over the years but have stuck to the same one for a while now. In the winter I have three boxes; one with Pheasant tails, Hare's Ears that sort of thing plus a small selection of dries (Klinks, Adams and the like). The second box contains CZ nymphs and big, heavy bugs. The third is a variety box with all sorts like Prince Nymphs, Brassies, Hot-spots etc.

My Spring fly boxes consist of four; Firstly a box with Klinks and Nymphs, the second is Para-Dun style flies, the third is Deer Hair patterns plus a couple of Mayfly patterns and the last box is the fully hackled dries...an additional box is added from mid-may for a month or so, obviously!

More of fly boxes and flies later....

We caught a few fish, the best was a cracking 14" over-wintered Brown (photo).

1 comment:

  1. Ban trò chơi cá that the game vui nhộn is being ua chuong cho line Phone Android.Game cấm cá voi be absolute more than you do if downloading Ban trò chơi cá một xu latest show Nay. With error play quen part, the trò chơi manually cấm cá "super course" Han be vui Welcome when in tay Celebrity latest does.

    nguồn : http://gamenhatviet.com/tai-game-ban-ca/

    ReplyDelete