Sunday 7 February 2010

The perfect cure for a hangover


A couple of hours engrossed in the bright orange and black banded leader as it weaves its way towards you, watching for any of those tell-tale twitches that indicate a fish has been tempted by the team of nymphs trundling along the bottom, is good therapy for a hangover; I should do it more often.

A solid performance by England’s brave band of fifteen, to hold off a very determined gang from the valleys, had resulted in a couple more in celebration than was good for me. I had, yet again, spent half the night slouched in my chair, probably shaking the foundations with my snoring; these days I am convinced it's not the pints that give me a hangover but several hours with my chin resting on my chest!!

There was already another angler in the river when I wondered up to the weir at Church Mayfield. A few pleasantries were exchanged and, very kindly, he suggested I fish the lower end of the pool that he had already fished through. Now this beat has limited opportunity for a fly angler, being better suited to maggot drowner’s so this act of generosity was well received.

I struggled to find the right team of flies to get them working hard towards the bottom, after about an hour the other chap came for a quick chat before wondering off down to the bridge pool. Another quick change to a slightly heavier Pink Shrimp on the middle dropper added just enough to get the depth needed and a couple of Grayling in the 12" stamp were hooked an landed.

A phone call from home told me it was time to get a move on as we had 'stuff' to do today and so I strolled back towards the car, stopping for a chat and coffee at the bridge pool before heading for home - minus the hangover.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there just wаntеԁ to give уοu а
    quick heаds up. The text in yοur ρоst seem
    to be running оff the screen іn Firefox.
    Ι'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I'd
    post to let yοu know. The style and design look great though!
    Hopе yοu get the ρroblem resоlvеd soоn.

    Thanκs

    Ηerе іs my web site - Low cost Brand new Orleans Accommodations
    Also see my web site :: Discount New Orleans Resorts

    ReplyDelete