Sunday 21 February 2010

There's snow way I'm fishing today....

















...read the text message from my little brother, so I'd be fishing alone today. The overnight snow had left the local roads a bit of a mess. Still I have a 4x4 so that shouldn't stop me, or so I thought. There were no other car tracks in the snow as I headed up Marston Lane and took a left toward Hatton, the A50 and Ashbourne. What I had not factored in was the other road users. Thirty minutes later I was turning the car round, a jack-knifed lorry blocking the A515 and my route to Church Mayfield.

As I pulled up on Monks Bridge I was actually feeling quite excited about getting in the river. A new fleece bib and brace for under the waders should keep me nice and warm. It was a quick purchase yesterday, a few hours in the Derwent at Cromford has left me frozen to the core and something I was not keen to repeat.

As I walked up the river, my footprints the first in the snow apart from a fox, it suddenly occured to me that drivers passing on the A38 would glance up river and see this complete head case standing in the river waving a stick; what would they think?



I caught fish from the off. Nice healthy, fat and fit Grayling - nothing big, perhaps 12" the best fish but nice all the same. A team of three nymphs which were all being hit by the Lady of the Stream. I was certainly having more action than the Derwent of Friday. Glen Pointon and a few others are fishing the Upper Severn today, we were due to be fishing there instead of the Derwent but Birmingham airport had been closed Thursday night and I was left stranded in Holland. By the time my flight got in Friday morning it was too late to head to Cearsws, perhaps we will get another chance in a few days.















After half a dozen fish and a freshly brewed coffee it was time to head for home to pack for another few days away with business....it had been worth the effort...


1 comment:

  1. Well that is a great result from Monksbridge, I didn't know there were grayling as far doen as this.
    Good angling.

    ReplyDelete